- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Optional: 1-4 tablespoons unrefined sweetener of choice (such as coconut sugar, maple syrup or honey), a cinnamon stick and/or a couple cloves, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary, part of an orange rind
- 1/2 cup olive oil (flavored olive oils add a fun element - we used a peach olive oil that was so delicious!)
- In a medium sized saucepan that is nonreactive, add the balsamic vinegar and any flavoring agents you'd like (they are completely optional, but add their own flavorful dimensions. Don't add them all! Just one or two will be enough).
- Turn kitchen fan on high as vinegar is going to be floating into the air!
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and then turn down heat to keep at a low simmer. It will take about 10-15 minutes to thicken and reduce. Keep a careful eye near the end as you don't want to burn it. When it coats a spoon, it will be thick enough. You can thicken it slightly, or make it as thick as molasses. You can reduce anywhere from ⅓ to ¾'s of the vinegar (but not more, unless you want to really risk burning it)! When reduced more, it will thicken up considerably once cooled. You can always gently reheat (and add a little water, as needed).
- Add in the oil and stir!