70% of our immune system is along the gut lining – the things we eat have a direct impact on our gut microbiome and the health of our immune system!
So when it comes to looking for ways to boost the immune system, diet is a great place to start! We truly are what we eat, and the foods we consume have a huge impact on our overall health and well-being. Check out some of the farm’s favorite immunity boosting secrets below!
- Turmeric - A powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, turmeric helps to boost the immune system and fight bacterial and viral infections. Studies have shown that antioxidants may prevent damage to immune cells by neutralizing free radicals, which are the agents in the environment that may damage your cells and reduce your immunity.
- Garlic - Allicin is the main compound found in garlic, which has been shown to boost the disease-fighting response of some types of white blood cells in the body when they encounter viruses. Studies have shown that garlic reduces the risk of becoming sick in the first place, as well as how long you stay sick. Add chopped garlic to salads, dips, your favorite roasted vegetables, or stir frys! Check out this amazing garlic pasta recipe!
- Honey - Bee pollen is a source of vitamin E, B vitamins, folic acid, and polyphenols. Bee pollen is thought to support immunity through improving the immune response, reducing inflammation, and acting as an antibacterial, antifungal compound. Honey, in its organic/wild, raw, unfiltered states, is rich in minerals, antioxidants, and enzymes. We love our bees at Hana Tropicals!
- Citrus - Vitamin C has been the classic immune system booster for years, and for a great reason! Vitamin C acts as a powerful antioxidant in the body, reducing oxidation and supporting immunity. It is also thought to increase the production of white blood cells. Some of our favorite citrus fruits are lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes! Start your day with a glass of warm water and lemon juice, add fresh juice to smoothie or tea, or grab an orange as a quick snack!
- Leafy Greens - Greens are a great addition to the diet for a variety of reasons, but especially if you are looking to boost your immune system. In addition to the fact that many of them are packed with Vitamin C, many greens contain Vitamin E which functions as an antioxidant in the body, supporting a strong immune system.
- Moringa - A tree native to the Himalayan foothills, Moringa is cultivated extensively in India and parts of Africa. Found mainly in tropical and subtropical areas, the leaves of the Moringa trees are recognized as some of the most nutrient dense, packed with vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and minerals including potassium, calcium, iron, selenium, and magnesium. Packed with antioxidants and high in protein, Moringa has been shown to boost the immune system due to its high nutrient content! Ounce for ounce, Moringa is said to contain seven times the amount of Vitamin C of an orange! The easiest way to consume Moringa is in powder form, where the leaves are dehydrated at a low temperature and blended to the perfect powder consistency. At Hana Tropicals, we grow all of our Moringa to organic standards, and try to be as natural and sustainable as possible. Check out our website to try some of our Moringa products!
- Apple Cider Vinegar - As a fermented food, ACV contains beneficial bacteria and prebiotics that can have a positive impact on immune health. Its antibacterial properties help fight off pathogens that may enter the body. It encourages detoxifications through lymphatic drainage and enhances circulation, which can help the body remove unwanted things more easily. Apple cider vinegar can be consumed on its own, one tablespoon diluted in water and drank each morning. Or, it can be added to salads as a dressing! Check out one of our favorite dressing recipes here.
For free recipes, blog posts, and tropical flower and farm made product exclusive deals, subscribe to our newsletter! Mahalo for reading!
- The Hana Tropicals team