Yield: Approx. 8 servings
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup passion fruit juice
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
30 minutes; read in 4 hours
- In the top of a double broiler, combine egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, salt and passion fruit juice. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Dissolve gelatin in cold water, then stir into yolks mixture until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in lemon zest. Remove from heat and allow to cool until slightly congealed.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup white sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold whites into yolk mixture until no streaks remain. Spoon into pie crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm.