- 6 tablespoons shiro miso (white fermented soybean paste)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 3 3/4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus additional for brushing pan
- 6 Japanese eggplants (about 8 inches), halved lengthwise
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
Whisk together shiro miso, vinegar, water, sugar, and ginger until sugar is dissolved.
Brush a large shallow frying pan with oil and arrange eggplant, cut sides up, in pan. Brush tops with 2 tablespoons oil (total). Sautee eggplant until it begins to turn pale golden and soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Brush generously with miso mixture and sautee until eggplant is tender and glaze is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve sprinkled with scallions.
Recipe adapted and image taken from: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Miso-Glazed-Eggplant-109748